• Hi NoExpert

I'll add my few cents too - just some stuff that came to my mind when reading through this thread.

As was mentioned before, getting work permits etc is by far easiest if you already have a company that can support you on the formalities. Either look for jobs on swiss sites like jobs.ch or search international companies with a swiss branch. Some big companies may search internationally for position in Switzerland, often through career sections on ther homepage.

Also Switzerland has quite a big english speaking community mostly of expats or temporary placed staff. Also mainly in cities many swiss people speak or understand english to some extent. While this both can help at the beginning, don't make the mistake of resorting to english too quick if german (especially the swiss-german) feels cumbersome. I know people living here for over 10y and still hardly speak any german - just because all too often they don't have to.

An idea maybe to check for your bike's modifications. For parts that are original aftermarket, not self-made mods maybe the dealer/manufacturer has information on whether that part is in accordance with Swiss law. Maybe for the bigger brands like your exhaust there is even an official swiss dealer who could give support on registering here. But be aware certification document can cost a bit even if a dealer or mechanic here can get it.

Otherwise Switzerland is fantastic to explore by bike! You can go everywhere in a day trip, even to the black forest across the border, to italian alps, etc. Crappy congested roads in cities and main roads though, but "driving heaven" as TopGear said in the alps and less frequented roads - that is if you love winding roads and cornering more than high-speed straights. For that there is Germany close by. :smiling_face:

”Looking for Adventure in whatever comes our way”

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von siri ()

• Excellent info. I'm planning to try to find a job first that can submit the work/residence permit on their end and I can do what I need to on my end. This seems the best route for me.

Pure curiosity, how do they go about checking parts, both what I've changed and if they meet Swiss regulations?

• I'm not familiar with the procedure, especially not for import vehicles. Found this, which gives maybe a bit an idea:
    http://www.autoscout24.ch/Cms/Article.aspx?cmsaid=5272

Confirms what I thought... Switzerland is really strict about it and police has a keen eye on it. Everything not approved for swiss roads (regardless whether it is series in another country) must get official certificate. If you get caught with not approved and formally correct documented changes, police is very likely to take in your bike on the spot and give you an expensive ticket.

Very simple example is noise. If your bike is too loud, it won't be allowed alltogether. Or if your indicators don't match the given rules, you have to put on others. Even if they match rules but are not generally released for a certain bike in Switzerland, they need certification too.

My impression: Either you go the very rough road of approving everything with the risk that in the end your bike still can't be allowed due to some stupid detail - or easier you sell it in the states and use the money to tune a new bike here with the required certificates from start. Just my guess but your long list of changes could make things really complicated with rather low chances of success. ...just my wild guess though as I have never actually tuned anything myself.

”Looking for Adventure in whatever comes our way”

• I've looked into all the info and indeed there are some tight rules. On the bright side about 90% of my stock parts are in boxes and can be put back on in a day, problem solved, at least 90% of it. I'll bring over my extra parts in case I can get them approved, if not I can make this a track bike and get another bike for riding around, maybe a BMW S1000RR or the new R1. Will have to see how that plays out.

I did hear back from the embassy, wasn't really any help, seems either of us can get a job first and go from there.

• I did hear back from the embassy, wasn't really any help, seems either of us can get a job first and go from there.

I guess you might as well just apply for jobs - the companies/organizations will let you know whether they can employ you (i.e. get you a work permit) or not. It might be a good idea to go for Swiss branches of American companies, international organizations or the like...

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von jacq68 ()

• Hey man, I've been working for Novartis in Basel for 4 Years now (apprenticeship which now ends), I can tell you, that you'll have good chances in Switzerland if English is your main language. As someone already mentioned, maybe try to get in touch with the big companies over here (Novartis, Roche, BASF, Johnson Controls etc. ). In the 4 years i spent working for Novartis, we were always talking English, there's a huge amount of people working here that come from other countries even outside of the EU.

So I guess getting a work permit shouldn't be that big of a deal. But by sending the E-mail you've already done the right thing and you'll get to your Infos (If you get a job and live near Basel I'd be pleased to meet you one day and go for a ride ;)).

Switzerland is definitely the right decision, but as every country we have our issues you'll need to get along with. But I'll be happy to welcome you to Switzerland as soon as that is the case :smiling_face:

A ride a day keeps the stress away.