• Hello, my name is Joshua, I'm 38 years old and live in So. Cal. Last February I bought a new 2014 Yamaha R1 after totaling my 2014 Yamaha R6. My wife (from Europe) and I are planning to move to Switzerland in the next year or two. I'm hoping to learn more about Switzerland, the people and the culture, so what better way than finding a common interest? I'm hoping my English isn't too troublesome and that I can learn a little Deutsch in the process. We were in Switzerland in November and planning to visit again next spring/summer, possibly looking for job opportunities and housing while there.

Looking forward to making new friends and learning new things.

• Hi Joshua

Nice bike you got there :winking_face: , but stay safe :smiling_face:
    And welcome to the Forum :welcome::welcome:
    Good luck then with you moving plans and let's hope everything works out well for you two :thumbup:
    And by the way, where are you planning to liven in Switzerland? Or are you still unsure? :smiling_face:

Greetings from beautiful Switzerland :grinning_squinting_face:

Death

~ Some take drugs, some drink bottles, but i solve my problems by twisting throttles :toeff2: ~

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Deathsoldier ()

• Hi there

Welcome :). Many of the older Forum members do not speak English that well, so learning German would be a great thing :D. In addition to that, all the content of this Forum is written in German.

Nice bike you got there. Why do you want to move to Switzerland? I visited Ontario two years ago and it was just beautiful.

Since you ride an R1, I don't know if you'll be happy on swiss roads, but if you move to a place which is close to Germany that's totally different story, if you know what I mean :winking_face:

Anyways, welcome to the Form and ride save :grinning_squinting_face:

A ride a day keeps the stress away.

• Hi Joshua, and welcome - you have come to the right place. :thumbup: I have joined this forum a few months ago and find the people to be very friendly and helpful.

Enjoy! :smiling_face:

• Hoi Joshua

Du willst Deutsch lernen, dann schreibe ich mit Absicht auf Deutsch :sehrgut:

Willkommen und ich hoffe du findest schnell Freunde. Sind soweit alle Freundlich und Nett :lol:

Gruss Züli

• Danke für der willkommen.

Deathsoldier, we have yet to decide where to move, we spent time in Zürich and Lucerne as well as driving south through Switzerland into Italy. I think where we move will greatly depend on where I can find a job.

As for why we want to move to Switzerland, we spent a few weeks driving all around Europe in November and plan to do the same next year. We felt the most comfortable in Switzerland while there. The people were friendly and helpful, the atmosphere was nice and it seemed the people cared about things, not to mention the country is beautiful. I could be completely wrong on my initial feelings, so correct me if I am.

frosties, did you visit Ontario, Canada or Ontario, California? Huge difference between the two. If Ontario, California, what brought you here? Not a lot going on here. As for the language, I have a couple translation apps and do my best to figure it out.

Züz1988, danke, I will try to learn quickly.

How strict are things in Switzerland when it comes to bike modifications? I plan to import my bike, but want to be prepared for what tests it may need to initially pass.

• At this point I want to you too :smiling_face:

Switzerland is for sure a beautiful country. As far as the people go, it greatly depends on where you are. But that would work for any country really :smiling_face:

Switzerland is quite strict, but it always depends on how far you went with the modifications and for one (you'll need a Db-Killer :loudly_crying_face: ) but otherwise, it would help to know what you did to the bike, so we could help you :smiling_face:

Wissen ist Macht, Ich weiss nix, macht nix :cursing:

Hubraum ist nur durch mehr Hubraum zu ersetzen :motorrad15:

• Can't think of a more strict country then Switzerland when it comes to modifying anything on your bike. Switzerland mostly doesn't even accept EU qualified things, that often means, you'll have to invest more money and time. :upside_down_face: So that might be a problem. I Visited Cali (LA) and wanted to visit the San Bernadino area (since I watched some Motovlogers from there and I wanted to see all the stuff in reallife), a friend of mine was an exchange student in Ontario, only spent a few hours there, but it seemed like quite a nice place.

Well yes swiss people are normally friendly, but we're way more introverted than most of the americans (as far as I learned from my visits).

A ride a day keeps the stress away.

• Ah nice :smiling_face: i guess this are quite nice places to be in Switzerland, and another good point is, that you're quite in the middle of Switzerland, which means you can travel around to several places in the country pretty fast.
    Yea makes definitly sens living close to where you work :D.

Yes it's a small but nice country, can totally recommend it :smiling_face: . And no you were totally correct :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

And about the language, mabe you've heard that swiss people dont really talk german, it's swiss german :smiling_face: but you'll learn it fast i guess :smiling_face: , and for the begin usual german will ofc also do the job, everyone here can also talk usual german, and alot also english if needed. And if you need help, the people here will not bite you :grinning_squinting_face::smiling_face: .

Things are quite strict, your bike needs to pass several tests, and special parts, or in general modifications on the bike need to be approved by the Mfk centre. And almost all modifications need to be registered in the vehicle ID paper.

Ofc it would be the best if you import the bike, but all parts need the be approved by our laws/rules.
    But i'm not a expert when it comes to stuff like this, i guess some other guys from the forum here know it better than me :thumbsup: .

But the best would be if you may make a list here with all things you've done to your R1 so we can help you to make it easier.

And if noone writes a reply here (about the modifications), just write into the shoutbox on the dashbord.

Greetings Gian

~ Some take drugs, some drink bottles, but i solve my problems by twisting throttles :toeff2: ~

• I'm a bit of an introvert myself, probably why I felt more comfortable there. I did read something about the language being Swiss-German. Unfortunately I don't speak German or Swiss-German so I'll have to learn either way.

frosties, you must have been in the nice part of Ontario, although I'm trying to figure out where that is myself. We just moved to Ontario in January (we lived only 15 minutes from where we are now) and our community isn't bad, but once you're outside the gates it's different. I was born and raised in So Cal and it's been going downhill. Unfortunatley it's society as a whole here that's dragging it down, people just don't care. Otherwise it's a great place to visit, just don't want to live here anymore.

A list of modifications... All of them, even the stupid little ones?

Main ones are:

Leo Vince full system exhaust
    Sprint air filter
    FlashTune ECU setup (changing to Woolich soon)
    Lithium battery
    Fender eliminator
    Yamaha dark smoke raised wind screen
    Flush mount front turn signals
    Quick turn fuel cap
    Samco radiator hoses
    Woodcraft case covers, frame sliders, bar end sliders, swing arm spools and front axle sliders
    Graves cam chain tensioner and block off plates
    Yamaha seat cowl
    Adjustable rear linkage rod
    Reworked and tuned forks and shock

Have a few parts coming too, Robby Moto quick action throttle, HealTech iQSE-1 quick shifter and some Domino grips. Should all be here next week.

I'm sure there's other little bits I'm missing, like my angled valve stems, but that's the majority of it.

I read for importing it's best to have the bike as close to stock as possible, just not sure what I can or can't do after that. In CA we have no inspection requirements so we can go crazy and not have any problems unless we piss off a police officer.

I appreciate all of your replies.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von NoExpert ()

• Wow, seems to be your true love that Bike :grinning_squinting_face::love::love: looks also beautiful! nice job mate :top:

And about the modifications, ehm wow :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: , you will definitly get some problems if you just wanna license the bike will all that things on it :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: . But since i'm also pretty new in the motorbikes world, i dont really know how it is if you import a bike like this, and what you have to do, to get it licensed...

• Thanks. I'm an amateur compared to some of the guys I talk to, all sorts of carbon fiber and titanium parts on their bikes. Basically street legal looking race bikes.

I'll have to look into the importing info a bit more to see what it says. Fortunately I have some of the stock parts, so if I have to switch things around, I can. Then I can flash the ECU back to stock settings and pass whatever I may need to.

I looked more into importing, looks like all they really care about is lights, emissions and noise. I have my stock exhaust, so I can put that on for the inspection. I think I have a year to pass inspection and get the bike registered, shouldn't be a problem.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von NoExpert () aus folgendem Grund: Additional info