• Thank you again for the welcomes.

Does anybody know a good resource for job hunting in Switzerland? I've been looking on jobs.ch and found some promising opportunities, but there has to be more. Are there any job placement companies I should look into? I've used a couple here in the US that have done well for me.

Any help is appreciated.

• Thank you again for the welcomes.

Does anybody know a good resource for job hunting in Switzerland? I've been looking on jobs.ch and found some promising opportunities, but there has to be more. Are there any job placement companies I should look into? I've used a couple here in the US that have done well for me.

Any help is appreciated.

Hywhat did you learn? or what you worked before?http://www.jobscout24.ch/de/jobratgeber/jobsuche-d52/http://www.ostjob.ch/http://jobwinner.ch/de/

WERE NOT HERE FOR A LONG TIME...
    WERE HERE FOR A GOOD TIME...

GUY MARTIN

• I've had quite a few different jobs over the years.

Warehouse/inventory manager, customer service (I worked for Shoei helmets USA and was a certified technician for assessing and repairing their helmets), project manager for a construction company, and currently I'm a supervisor in a small company and work with commercial locks. Unfortunately I don't have a degree, but I do have a capacity for learning anything put in front of me.

Something I see in some job advertisements is English as a native language, I may have an edge here since I have a pacific accent (which means no accent at all), and can understand most other English accents.

The other thing I'm trying to figure out is how it works with getting a job since my wife is an EU citizen. In all the EU countries I simply show a copy of her passport and our marriage certificate and I'm granted the same rights for work as an EU citizen. I've tried finding anything similar to this for Switzerland and haven't found anything as of yet.

Just want to be sure when I start the process I do everything correct.

• The other thing I'm trying to figure out is how it works with getting a job since my wife is an EU citizen. In all the EU countries I simply show a copy of her passport and our marriage certificate and I'm granted the same rights for work as an EU citizen. I've tried finding anything similar to this for Switzerland and haven't found anything as of yet.

It works in a similar way here. As an EU citizen, your wife can get a work permit quite easily in Switzerland, and since you are married, you will also be able to get a work permit.

This is an advantage, since there are restrictions on work permits for citizens of non-EU countries.

However, you might want to check this out in detail to make sure. This might help: https://www.ch.ch/en/work-switzerland-foreign-national/

Good luck!

• Danke!

I've been on that site quite a bit learning as much as I can, but it never clearly laid out how it worked. My thoughts are that I'll try to get a job first and hopefully earn enough to support us both so she can take her time and find a job that suits her best. Not sure how that will work out.

I've read the restrictions and requirements for non-EU citizens, it wouldn't even be a consideration if my wife wasn't from Europe. We only seriously started discussing it after our last trip there since she sees the difference in the quality of life. Here it's just about working and chasing money, not much time off and everything is fast. Ive been ready for a change so now we're hoping to make it happen.

• If you get a company to hire you, they will sort out the work permit formalities for you. However I am not sure how it works in "normal" companies. I work in education/research (university) and we only have employees from outside the EU in "training" positions (postdoctoral researchers and PhD students), which is a lot easier and not subject to the usual restrictions. We also have one senior physician from the US (in a non-training position) whom we were able to employ because she's got special knowledge that's hard to find. But it is next to impossible for us to "import" non-EU citizens for regular jobs because we have to prove that we could not find anyone within the EU. We can however employ non-European citizens if their spouse has a valid work permit. So it might boil down to your wife having to find work first in order for you to get a work permit.

I think it would be good to talk to someone in order to find out about the ins and outs. Here's another link that might help, there's a phone number for general inquiries about entry/labour market.
    https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home/ueberuns/kontakt.html

• Dear NoExpert

You' re welcome to Switzerland - the best bikecountry in europe :grinning_squinting_face: If you looking for jop opportunities by Novatis or Roche - Basel will have the best options. Don't hesistat to contact us...

All the best

• I already sent off an email to them and am waiting for a reply. If I don't hear back soon I'll give them a call or call the local Swiss embassy.

Bear in mind that it's 10 pm here... :winking_face:

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

• WYSIWYG, danke, I'll take a look today after work.

jacq68, I sent the email over the weekend since I wasn't finding anything online. Glad to see I was looking in the right places for info, tends to make life easier. I'm all too aware of that time difference. My wife was in Europe a few weeks ago and would call me at 02:00 in the morning thinking I was awake. I was amazed at how much like the sun my phone could be at that hour. Again, thank you for your input and help.