Yamaha XJ6 Diversion 2010- Gear changing is sticking sometimes

• Hallo lovely community,

after a while now, I am able to drive my bike and very happy about (I was totally newbie).

Now I am having sometimes a small issue with my gear. When I change the gear from 1 to 2 to 3 and so on or backwards, sometimes it is sticking.

I asked in Motocenter Winterthur, they changed my gearstick (Schalthebel) as it was little bit bent (because i felt like 2 times). But still, I am feeling the gear is sticking and motocenter told me that it is fine :thinking_face:

After looking in google, I saw that one of the problems could be with lubrication. My question, is there a place in Zürich where bikers meet to discuss with each other about such stuff? The thing, I saw a lot of google recessions from different Mechanics...they all have sometimes bad recessions. For that, I decided if I need to know my bike more, I have to fix it by myself.

any advices ladies and gentlemen?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Josef

• hello Josef

can you explain it a bit more?
    is it... sometimes hard to switch the gears...?
    or are there moments where it not want switch between the lower gears?
    no problems with the clutch?

maybe the switch-mechanic inside becomes a knock awhile your felt on the gearstick...

I do not know it, but I think there you will find people to talk about..

http://www.motorradhangar.com

"Am liebsten erinnere ich mich an die Zukunft."
    Salvador Dali

• What is "sticking"? You can not shift gears because it "does not want to change"?

Maybe you are just a little bit too fast. Change the gears slowly. You have time. Pull the lever with the foot, let the clutch slide in and the gear change should be smooth like butter.

My experience with Yamaha: When you try to do it fast, it will not work. Same with BMW. :grinning_squinting_face:

Some people tend to work with force in this case. You can hear them using their left foot like they try to kickstart the motor with the lever for the gearbox. :grinning_squinting_face:

What I suggest: Search for an empty parking lot. Train shifting between the gears slowly and gentle. Up to 4th gear, then down to 2nd gear. Stop somewhere. Shift slowly and gentle into 1st gear. Then back into 2nd without moving the bike.

Get a feeling what your gearbox is expecting from you.

Note: Changing the gears on a Honda was the best experience I had. Easy, working well.

Yamaha and BMW: "Please be gentle. Yours truly, the Gearbox."

Suzuki: "I make strange noises from the gearbox whatever you try to do with me! And I am not ashamed of it!"

Greetings, Martin